Blog Blog Blog...

Blog Blog Blog...
The Happiest Blog on Earth

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Video Games Affecting Social Skills?

While I was driving home from Rock Canyon Park on Monday night, I was listening to the radio, and ran into an interview on KBYU radio with the host, and Dr. Larry Nelson and Dr. Laura Walker. They discussed how very few if any video games lead to pro social skills later in life. As I was thinking about how often children are exposed to media and to video games, it was an eye opening thought for me realizing that they can make an impact, especially single player fighting games, which provide no social interaction, minimal justice done for consequences of violence or other lascivious acts, and a plethora of other misdeeds.
It was fascinating to think that twenty years ago when I was growing up, only a few families had a game system in their home. Now nearly everyone has access. It truly is a new and upcoming form of media that is sure to impact a broad range of individuals within our lifetime. Overall the study was good. I felt that media has such a great influence to strengthen or vice versa tear apart families and the values we truly uphold and stand for.

3 comments:

  1. Chritian,
    I totally agree. It is amazing how much of an effect video games have, and how far they've come! The study with Dr. Walker and Dr. Nelson is a fascinating one, and it is great to see topics we discuss every day in our major talked about on the radio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once my brother was allowed to have a PS2 in his room, he was never the same. He was perfectly fine to stay in his room 24/7 and play Halo all by himself..and he did! It was pretty sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing this with me. I find that they do affect social skills. My brothers used to be addicted to video games, but over the years have slowly weaned themselves off them and found that going out and living a good social life is much better. http://www.mcdonaldfamilydentistry.com

    ReplyDelete