Blog Blog Blog...

Blog Blog Blog...
The Happiest Blog on Earth

Monday, October 5, 2009

Book Worms (Book Assignment)

I remember growing up, my mom taught me the importance of reading and how it can help enrich the imagination and the experiences I would have in this life. Every month when we received flyers for book orders and whenever a book fair passed through our elementary school, we would always take our money and buy several books, which are still found in the library at my parent’s home. Books were an important part of our enjoyment and entertainment, and I felt that growing up it was much more important than television.
One of my all time favorite books as a child was E.B. White’s Charlotte’s Web. To me this was a book not only about the friendship and sacrifice given between a spider and a pig, it was inspiring, and made me consider how I could help others. I remember when I got to the end of the book, my 6 year old eyes filled with tears when I read the part when Charlotte died, giving her last energy and efforts to help her dear friend Wilbur. It was because of her that he would live, and could live a full life, realizing his true potential. Looking back on it, I know that many probably find it cheesy or corny reading such a dramatic book, but it was a personal favorite, and I enjoyed reading it again and again.
For me, books like Charlotte’s Web were important in helping me understand how to be pro-social and how to be a good friend to others. The examples of unselfishness that were found in the novel, as well as talking to my mom about what I read were instrumental in my moral development.
As I grew older and moved into college mode, it was much more difficult to read books for personal enjoyment. I realized that with extracurricular activities, callings, and homework took all my time. However I have noticed that the books I read the most are self help books, as well as books by General Authorities of the Church. For example, some of the titles I have read as of recently have included titles such as I Have Lost My Number, Can I Have Yours: A Guide to LDS Dating, (believe me, my mom got this book for me for a reason), and Teachings and Discourses of President Gordon B. Hinckley. I have felt that books like these have helped me to learn and grow, and although my dating predicament has not been any better, it was helpful to understand what I might do to be a better person.
All in all, I have found that the books I have read over the years have been those which help me to learn and grow and to become a better person. Books have that wonderful power to help increase the powers of imagination, creativity, and to help people develop and make connections that are not placed directly in front of them as they may be in other forms of media.

No comments:

Post a Comment