Blog Blog Blog...

Blog Blog Blog...
The Happiest Blog on Earth

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Vicarious Living

Hey readers!

Another post, another wonderful media event. This week, I watched Jim and Pam's wedding on "The Office," as I am sure that many of you and other BYU students probably have. As funny as this show can be, at times it can be a little risque. So I got to thinking and asking myself an important question this week...

Why do we invest ourselves so much into television shows?

Sure, I know I am guilty as much as anyone. I am an absolute fan of "The Office," "Heroes," and "LOST," as well as "Wipeout." Shows that are riveting, that leave us wanting more, hungry and eager for what lies ahead next week.

Do we vicariously live our lives through these individuals who portray drama, action and a lifestyle we may be familiar or alien to on these programs? Do we wish we could be as charismatic, as social, as good looking, or as talented as those people? Do I wish my dating life, (no comment), were as fun, adventuresome, and abundant as the characters we know and love?

It can be a legitimate question. The more I watch media, and television, the more questions like these arise. The more I think about who I am, and what these shows do for me. If anything, a definite source of entertainment, fulfillment and joy. But could it be more...Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment